With events picking back up, Microsoft Dynamics 365 offers a quick and simple way to scan business cards to create leads and contacts. Business cards can be scanned via mobile or web. The scanner will analyze the card for relevant information and automatically update respective fields in the system.
First, make sure the functionality to scan business cards in Microsoft Dynamics 365 is enabled. Follow these steps to see if it is enabled and configured how you would like it to be:
- In Power Apps (powerapps.com), navigate to the Default Solution:
- Select Objects in the navigation pane, then expand Tables, next select Contact. Under Data experiences, select Forms:
- Open the Contact Quick Create form:
- Click on Add Component, expand the AI Builder drop-down, and select Business card reader:
- A pop-up will appear in the middle of your screen requiring you to map data from the business card to columns on the Contact table. Once you have mapped business card data to the appropriate columns, you will see display options for this component (Web, Phone, and Tablet). If you plan to only use it for your mobile device, then deselect the others so that the business card scanner process is clear to all your salespeople utilizing the feature.
- Next, click Done.
- Lastly, Save and Publish the form:
After the function is enabled and configured, here’s how to use the business card scanner:
- Log into your Dynamics 365 mobile or desktop app, then click Quick Create > Contact or Quick Create Lead. Note: This feature generally provides a better user experience in mobile versus desktop. For this reason, we recommend using the business card scan feature in the mobile app.
- You should see a large button at the top that says Scan Business Card. If you are using your mobile app, you will use the camera on your mobile device. If you are using the desktop version, you will utilize the same camera that you use for video conference meetings.
- When you click on the Scan Business Card button, it will enable your mobile device’s camera feature. Have business cards ready and scan away – it doesn’t matter if you take pictures horizontally or vertically. The business card data will still be scanned and analyzed.
- After taking a picture of the card, a loading screen should appear. When it’s done loading, the scanned business card will show and the record fields below will have automatically populated. Any missing information will require manual entry. For example, text that is too close together on the business card might not populate correctly; or a business card may not include someone’s cell phone. Once the information you want has been recorded, click Save and Close. Now your new lead or contact is saved in CRM!
The integrated business card scanner in Microsoft Dynamics 365 helps salespeople to quickly scan and save business card information. This feature saves time by reducing manual data entry and can be done anywhere your phone is.
If you have additional questions about how to scan business cards in Microsoft Dynamics 365 to create leads and contacts, reach out to us for help.